Saturday, May 30, 2009

Movie Review: Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian

As far as family films go, they don't come bigger or more packed with star power than Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (Is there a marquee in the world that can fit that title?).

I found this sequel far more exciting and enjoyable than the original. I do miss the lovable Micky Rooney and Dick Van Dyke. Such a shame the producers did not find roles for these two legends.

That said, NATM2 has so many fun and wild characters as to please even the most cynical viewer. Ben Stiller leads the cast as night guard Larry Daley and is charismatic as ever. Hank Azaria plays the lead villain, Kahmunrah, with scenery-chewing delight. Robin Williams and Owen Wilson reprise their characters, Teddy Roosevelt and Jededia Smith, from the first film.

However, the show-stealing performance by Amy Adams as Amelia Earhart is earns this installment its must-see status. Adams is at once endearing and unforgettable as the dynamite, speak-easy spoken heroine.

From start to finish NATM2 earns its wings as one of the few sequels to far surpass its predecessor.

SMT

1 comment:

  1. Sean... I'm getting ready to smack you! I took Simon and Jared to this and they thought it was fun but I was bored beyond belief. First of all... very weak story line and second, it felt like a bunch of old Saturday Night live sketches had been put together and they just changed names and costumes to fit the movie. I like most of the people in the movie but please, it wasn't good enough to pay matinee prices but unfortunately I will have to buy the Blu Ray because my boys will want to watch that stupid monkey over and over.

    Next time we go see a kids movie I'll invite you to come with us. Then you can get a feel for how dumb these movies are.

    Chris "I make crappie Horror Movies" Abram

    ReplyDelete