Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Review: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

As far as big, action-packed summer blockbusters go, T:ROTF is absolutely amazing.

While I realize it is fashionable these days to bash Michael Bay for his HUGE ego, I can not subscribe to bashing this, nor any of his non-historically based films. Simply put, no one makes BIG action movies like Michael Bay. No one can deliver the goods like Bay. No one else in Hollywood is as skilled at the art of capturing jaw-dropping, explosive action sequences on film.

Say what you will about the plot and character development in T:ROTF, a movie based on an 80's toy line is not designed to tug at your heartstrings or stir you to reexamine your life path. This is a fun, popcorn spectacle designed to get you out of the heat for 2 1/2 hours and take a ride of pure, fantastical fun.

It's OK to let your hair down and watch cars transform into robots without finding some deeper meaning in the string of high-octane action sequences that provide the linchpin for this BIGGER, BETTER sequel. If you want your blockbusters served with all the emotional and character development bells and whistles, boldly go see STAR TREK. But don't forget to hop on this roller coaster at least once this summer.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is one movie you must watch on the BIGGEST screen in your town while munching on hot buttered corn seed and guzzling a crisp cherry cola.

SMT

1 comment:

  1. Sean are you CRAZY???? I saw transformers in the huge theater and all I can say is, "I can't believe I paid 10 bucks to see that piece-o-crap". I'll give you that Bay makes huge action sequences that stun the average viewer into a catatonic state but for those who aren't put into a brain damage state of mind every time something blows up we want PLOT. At one point in the movie... let me start over, at several points in the movie I couldn't tell which CGI robot was good and which was bad and why they were here on Earth. And don't get me started on the dialogue. “No, no, no... Run, run, run... NOOOOOOOO.... RUNNNNNNNN” – yeah, that makes great cinema. I probably heard that 15 to 20 times during the movie. Why, you ask would we hear that so much? I’m glad you asked, because Bay believes the audience is to stupid to know that the characters need to be told to run even when we can see a 100 foot tall robot shooting missiles and firing a laser gun headed right for them. And lets not forget the multiple curse words throughout to eliminate the possibility for the pre-teen boys to go see it, even though the toys are marketed for them. I can let a few words slide hear and there but give me a break, are all the kids movies now going to be like this? And yes, this is a CHILDS MOVIE. It has to be because it has no plot, is full of “eye candy” and is so long that it will put you to sleep for naptime but wake you back up with explosions an hour and a half later. I like a good action movie and this isn’t one. Sorry to stop on your happy action movie bubble.

    Your Friend,
    Chris “I make crappie Horror Movies” Abram

    ReplyDelete